From the Editor: Welcome to the inaugural Berkshire Family Focus (online) Magazine [October 2013 issue]
I am so excited to unveil our new design and inaugural Berkshire Family Focus (online) Magazine.
It was always my goal to provide a local family magazine highlighting the Berkshires — it’s talented writers and teachers, arts and culture, family activities and events and more.
In this issue you will find:
- The Berkshire Family Focus October Feature, by Kelly Bevan McIlquham: Harvest Festivals and Halloween events invade the Berkshires this October
- Talking with Teachers, featuring fourth-grade teacher Jennifer Cimini: Kicking off the school year with Norman Rockwell
- Renaissance Mom, by Kelly Bevan McIlquham: Too much of a good thing
- Ask Tom, with Thomas Miller, LICSW: Socializing a shy 4-year-old, how hard to push
- Berkshire Family Eats, by Monica Bliss: ‘Relish’ today … Ketchup tomorrow
- The Berkshire Book Bag, by Kelly Bevan McIlquham: Spending a little time with North Egremont author Jana Laiz and her books for kids and teens
- Art Smarts, with Isa Ali: Families celebrate ‘Freedom’ at MASS MoCA’s Kidspace
- Healthing the Family, with Nicole Miller: Halloween treats, a new perspective
- Family Money Matters, courtesy of Greylock Federal Credit Union and Vicky May: The importance of knowing your credit score
- Tips From a School Nurse — Nancy Hopper, R.N.: Teaching fire safety to children during Fire Prevention Month
- That’s Life, with Izzy Lenihan: They’re off and running — another year filled with new beginnings
- Fun with Food: A Halloween meal kids will ‘die for’
- The BFF Craft Corner, courtesy of Great Barrington Rudolf Steiner School teacher Krista Palmer : Creating an 8-pointed window star
- Berkshire Kids Contribute: We asked local kids to send in some October-themed contributions, and here’s what they had to say
Also a great big thank you goes out to our resident Graphic Designer Kristy Rustay for all the great new logos (more to come), the artist from KidZone who created our “cover” photo (send us your name so we can give you the credit you deserve) and to our web-guru Lance Brown for helping out with the new design and all the glitches it entailed.
Until next month … enjoy the read.
Kelly Bevan McIlquham, Berkshire Family Focus, Founder