Begun in June of 2012 by Berkshire County blogger, writer and mom Kelly Bevan McIlquham, Berkshire Family Focus is your one-stop source for family activities, events and more in the Berkshires of Massachusetts. From kid-friendly theater to family-focused museum exhibits, outdoor activities and more, we provide an up-to-date calendar of it all. Whether from the Berkshires or just visiting you are sure to find something to satisfy and entertain every member of your family in this online resource and guide. To have your event, business or family-friendly organization featured here, send press releases and detailed information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Founder and Co-Publisher
Kelly Bevan McIlquham
Kelly Bevan McIlquham was born and raised in the Berkshires and pours her passion for children, family and the region into this site. She lives in Hinsdale with her husband Mark, three children —Kenna, Max and Shea — and her two dogs Murphy and Titan. She is the founder of Berkshire Family Focus and Renaissance Mom. Contact her at email@example.com.
Latest posts by Kelly Bevan McIlquham (see all)
- Central Berkshire Regional School District STAGES ‘Grease’ [PHOTO GALLERY] - July 25, 2015
- The Weekend Lowdown: May 8-10 - May 6, 2015
- Weekend Lowdown: April 10-12 - April 8, 2015
- Fun with Food: It’s National Caramel Popcorn Day! Celebrate with this delectable recipe - April 7, 2015
- Renaissance Mom: My war with clutter — Battle of the Unkempt Kitchen - March 31, 2015
Before becoming a full-time mom, Mary George spent a decade working as a technology analyst for the Gilder Technology Report (published by Forbes) and later served as president of Gilder Publishing, LLC., in Great Barrington. She was the longtime producer the internationally celebrated Gilder/Forbes Telecosm Conference and went on to co-found Chasing George, LLC, the company that developed and produced The Berkshire Forum at the Colonial Theatre in September 2010. A former high school math and physics teacher, she studied Engineering at Providence College and holds a degree in mathematics from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Mary resides in the Berkshires with her husband, Chris, and their two children.
Latest posts by Mary George (see all)
- Back to School 2015: Berkshire County Students from Pre-K through 12th Grade Share Their Excitement & Fears as They Kick Off the Academic Year - August 31, 2015
- Dodge the Heat at the First Street Common Splash Pad! [PHOTO GALLERY] - August 23, 2015
- 72nd Annual Berkshire 4-H Youth Fair [PHOTO GALLERY] - August 21, 2015
- Summer Fun at Bousquet [PHOTO GALLERY] - August 14, 2015
- BFF Road Trip: 25 Things Do With Kids in Nearby Pioneer Valley [Photo Gallery] - July 28, 2015
Samantha Cote is a senior at Wahconah Regional High School who loves dancing, acting, drawing, and writing, and who enjoys both listening to and playing music.
Latest posts by Samantha Cote (see all)
- Barrington Stage’s Youth Theatre’s ‘Hairspray Jr.’ opens this week - July 21, 2014
- Rowan and Martin’s ‘Laugh-In’ to play on the Wahconah Regional High School Stage Oct. 31-Nov. 2 - October 30, 2013
- Jacob Pillow’s 2013 free Inside/Out performances kick off today in Becket [COLUMN] - June 19, 2013
- COLUMN: ‘Grease’ will be electrifyin’ on the Pittsfield High School stage this weekend and next - May 14, 2013
- Wahconah Apollonian Players to present ‘Legally Blonde’ - April 3, 2013
Suzi Banks Baum loves hanging laundry. An artist and writer, she created Out of the Mouths of Babes: An Evening of Mothers Reading to Others for the March 2013 Berkshire Festival of Women Writers. Suzi just launched "An Anthology of Babes: 36 Women Give Motherhood a Voice" which explores mothering and creativity from the perspectives of thirty six women writers and artists. She leads the "Powder Keg Sessions: writing workshops for mothers and others" in Great Barrington. Suzi is a mixed media collage artist, doodler, actor and book maker, she grows fruit and makes jam and writes about seeing and celebrating the sacred in daily life at Laundry Line Divinel. Suzi's upcoming book, “Laundry Line Divine: A Wild Soul Book for Mothers” recounts the wild tale of her adventures raising herself while raising her children. Suzi loves nothing more than swimming in rivers, lakes and oceans with her husband and 2 teenagers who live with her in Great Barrington.
Latest posts by Suzi Banks Baum (see all)
- This Mom’s Beach Bucket List: On Tanglewood Lawn with a good book - June 11, 2015
- The Mom’s Beach Bucket List: Earth Day is every day - April 22, 2015
- This Mom’s Beach Bucket List: Love isn’t love ’til you give it away - February 10, 2015
- This Mom’s Beach Bucket List: Self-care is the best gift parents can give their children - January 22, 2015
- This Mom’s Beach Bucket List: Journal keeping for you and your kids - October 20, 2014
Berkshire resident, stay-at-home Mom, singer, actress, foodie. Monica is the author of Berkshire Family Focus monthly column "Berkshire Family Eats" and a Berkshire Family Focus "Parent's Eye Review" contributor.
Latest posts by Monica Bliss (see all)
- Parent’s Eye Review: ‘Lost in Yonkers’ is not to be missed at Barrington Stage Company [Review and Giveaway] - July 21, 2015
- Parent’s Eye Review: ‘Bells are Ringing Review’ at The Colonial is divine and we’ve got tickets to give away - July 14, 2015
- Parent’s Eye Review: S&Co.’s ‘Henry V’ — highly recommended for parents and teens - July 1, 2015
- Parent’s Eye Review: ‘Man of La Mancha’ earns opening night standing ovation - June 16, 2015
- Berkshire Family Eats: St. Paddy’s Day Round-Up and super-easy Irish eats - March 12, 2015
Nik Davies spends most of her available time making up stories and writing them down. She also hates Cheetos and dogs named Diablo. She’s the author of the hit YA Fantasy thriller “Fif15teen” and lives alone in Pittsfield unless you count her husband, children, and the ghosts of Fred and Bob their dearly departed tree frogs. Find her on Facebook and Twitter.
Latest posts by Nik Davies (see all)
- Enter Nik’s Mind: The 40’s - February 3, 2015
- Enter Nik’s Mind: If I had more time … [COLUMN] - July 22, 2014
- Enter Nik’s Mind: Loose shoelaces [COLUMN] - June 5, 2014
- Enter Nik’s Mind: The Crazy Favorite Aunt [COLUMN] - January 6, 2014
- Enter Nik’s Mind: Hello Morning! [COLUMN] - December 11, 2013
Nancy Hopper has been school nurse at Craneville Elementary School in Dalton since 2007 and has also been employed as a staff nurse at Berkshire Medical Center for 34 years. She lives in the Berkshires with her husband, Michael, and two daughters, Kate, 18, and Sara, 16. Nancy likes her daily walks and spending time with her family.
Latest posts by Nancy Hopper (see all)
- Tips from a School Nurse: Protecting your children from ticks - June 8, 2015
- Tips From a School Nurse: Avoiding dehydration as fall sports loom on the horizon - July 31, 2014
- Tips from a School Nurse: Screen-free week kicks off today, May 5 - May 5, 2014
- Tips from a School Nurse: Concussions in Children - April 23, 2014
- Tips from a School Nurse: Heart Healthy Lifestyles for Children - February 3, 2014
Izzy Lenihan is a life, career and wellness coach and owner of Prescription for Life coaching services. She lives in Pittsfield with her husband Scott and sons Cole and Max. Reach her at 413-446-1765 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by Izzy Lenihan (see all)
- That’s Life: It’s all in the Attitude - November 18, 2014
- That’s Life: Parents, you have my permission to do NOTHING - April 8, 2014
- That’s Life: Finding comfort in the discomfort - March 5, 2014
- That’s Life: Softening — a peaceful approach to life and parenting - February 3, 2014
- That’s Life: Raising a kind and compassionate child - January 6, 2014
Katie West currently lives in Dalton where she was born and raised, taking great pride in being a Wahconah Warrior. From 1997-2001 she, Katie attended Furman University in Greenville, South Caroline and later received her masters degree from MCLA. She is a full-time English teacher at McCann Technical HIgh School where she has worked for the past 12 years. She also spends time teaching fitness and yoga classes at the Dalton CRA. In her spare time she loves spending time with her family, friends and boyfriend. Katie especially enjoys doing anything outdoors with her Siberian Husky, Utah.
Latest posts by Katie West (see all)
- Fitness and the Family: Get fit with a friend - April 17, 2014
- Fitness and the Family: Spring workout suggestions - March 5, 2014
- Fitness and the Family: Sex — the best winter exercise for parents of all ages - February 3, 2014
- Fitness and the Family: Amp it up (or start it up) in January - January 6, 2014
- Fitness and the Family: Must-dos to melt the holiday stresses away - December 1, 2013
Berkshire living has always been in the heart and soul of Susan Geller. A native of Pittsfield, her father’s family arrived in the city from Russia in 1906. This strong bond has been the continual link to the beautiful abundance of the land, and its people. Susan's is the author of three books and has had a 30-plus year in the Berkshires as a writer, photographer and former School Adjustment Counselor.
Latest posts by Susan Geller (see all)
- Berkshire Theatre Group’s ‘Mary Poppins’ opens today [PHOTO GALLERY] - August 13, 2015
- Grand Opening of Arrowhead’s Children’s Garden [PHOTO GALLERY] - July 14, 2015
- Mary Verdi's Christmas at the Colonial [PHOTO GALLERY] - December 14, 2013
- Julie Gale offers cooking classes for adults, kids and families in nearby Hillsdale, N.Y. [PHOTO GALLERY] - November 22, 2013
- ‘Children,’ an exhibit featuring children from Berkshire County opens Aug. 2 at Treehouse in Pittsfield [PHOTO GALLERY] - July 27, 2013
Casey Albert Photography
Casey Albert is a local photographer, and owner of Casey Alberts Photography. She specializes in weddings, engagements, family gatherings/reunions, pets, pregnancy, newborns, babies, children and more. Contact her at 413-652-4265
Latest posts by Casey Albert Photography (see all)
- Sand Springs Open House [PHOTO GALLERY] - June 7, 2015
- The Clark celebrates its 60th anniversary with free admission May 17 and we celebrate with a Free Family Day gallery [PHOTO GALLERY] - May 16, 2015
- North Adams Winter Fest 2015 [Photo Gallery] - March 7, 2015
- MASS MoCA Free Day [Photo Gallery] - February 7, 2015
Nichole Dupont is a freelance writer/editor and a native of the Berkshires. She lives with her two children on the edge of a dairy farm, where she writes about fiction, food and feminism. And chases wandering guinea fowl off her property. You can reach her at email@example.com.
Latest posts by Nichole Dupont (see all)
Judith Fairweather, when not serving as stage mom, audition coach and chauffeur, is a social studies teacher at Drury High School in North Adams.
Latest posts by Judith Fairweather (see all)
John Krol is the owner/founder of OneEighty media (http://www.johnkrol.info). He lives in Pittsfield with his wife Allison and newborn son, Arden.
Latest posts by John Krol (see all)
- Eye teeth, China at-risk and my "record" collection [COLUMN] - August 21, 2013
- Reflections of a First-time Dad: And, We Have … Liftoff! [COLUMN] - July 17, 2013
- A Memorable First Father’s Day [COLUMN] - June 19, 2013
- COLUMN: Outdoors — A Whole New World! - May 20, 2013
- COLUMN: Solid Foods? I’ve Got It, Daddy! - April 23, 2013
A long time Pittsfield resident, but born in Lowell, MA, Leo Mazzeo migrated recently to New Ashford via Lanesborough. He is an artist, photographer, web designer, independent blogger correspondent, and all around advocator for regional arts causes. His company, arts indie, is the catch-all for these endeavors.
Latest posts by Leo Mazzeo (see all)
- ‘Luminate’ student artwork, exhibited at the Lichtenstein Center for the Arts in Pittsfield - March 28, 2013
- 10×10 RAP to benefit Berkshire County art students - February 18, 2013
- An artful family stroll in the Berkshires - January 25, 2013
Kim lives in Stockbridge with her son and daughter (ages 10 and 9), and enjoys hiking and kayaking when she's not writing or baking. She writes a blog called 'berkshiregirl', sharing all of the best of the berkshires with her readers.
Latest posts by Kim Ostellino (see all)
Jenn Smith is a Berkshire County native and a graduate of Wahconah Regional High School in Dalton and the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University. She's a full-time reporter for The Berkshire Eagle, but also enjoys the opportunity to share additional insights into family-friendly events and family-oriented issues here at Berkshire Family Focus.
Latest posts by Jenn Smith (see all)
- Fresh Fest: Lessons for Berkshire families about the future of food - March 7, 2013
- Pittsfield Library to host ‘A Winter Snow Fest’ Jan. 26 - January 23, 2013
- A Mary Verdi Christmas at the Colonial - November 27, 2012
- Images Cinema is a treasure trove of fun for Berkshire County families - November 8, 2012